This town is famous for its 14th-century castle of the Teutonic Knights. It was built around 1370 by the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, Winrich von Kniprode, as one of the major strategic points in the defence system of the Teutonic state.
During World War Two, while the Soviet Army were advancing westwards, the castle was largely damaged. It was restored in 1959-1965.
Today the fortress consists of the great hall, the gatehouse complex and the 16th century outer ward. The spacious inner ward enclosed by four wings is flanked by two impressive corner towers. The first floor (piano nobile) of the great hall, which comprises the most refined chambers such as the chapel and refectory, preserves some remnants of Gothic frescoes.
Graceful arches can be found in the west wing. In the chapel and refectory fragments of wall paintings have been preserved from the 15th century.
In the castle is a museum.
Nearby fragments of walls and two bastions can be found.
The distance from Plozy to Nidzica is about 55 km.
Official website: http://www.szlak.zamkigotyckie.org.pl/nidzica-ang.htm